Cool Stuff for the Kids
For young people, snorkeling is a visual underwater playground!
The more knowledge kids are given before their snorkel tour, the richer their experience. Once they begin to understand how the ocean works, what lives within it and the best ways to see it, the more confident they will be to go out there and create the time of their lives!
Not only does Maui Snorkel Tours provide a marine biology briefing to kick off your in-person snorkel tour, we have also found several great educational resources to share with your young ones.
This will get them excited for their snorkel tour, as well as give them lots of information to provide them with a better understanding of what they are experiencing.
Did You Know?
- The ocean covers 71 percent of the Earth's surface and contains 97 percent of the planet's water, yet more than 95 percent of the underwater world remains unexplored.
- The ocean and lakes play an integral role in many of the Earth's systems including climate and weather.
- Coral reefs cover less than 0.2% of our oceans but they contain 25% of the world's marine fish species!
- Despite how important coral reefs are to life in the ocean, all of them in the world add up to less than one percent of the sea floor – an area about the size of France.
- There are over 500 million people who rely on coral reefs for their food and livelihoods.
- A strange fact about coral reefs is that algae are the natural glue that holds them together to maintain their shape.